Friday, July 3, 2009

No room at the Inn

Well Jameson and I made it to Oswego after over 1100 miles of driving, numerous stops for gas and other necessities and one overnight stay in Blytheville, Arkansas. It was quite a trip and I am so thankful that my son was with me. Even though he does not say a whole lot, it was great to have him with me the entire time. We learned many lessons on our way here from Texas. Probably the first lesson is that we learned the way that we should not travel. Not being familiar with the roads made it interesting to say the least. Another thing we learned is that driving a 26 foot moving truck with a car in tow does not make for easy access at the Inn you want to stay at. Several times we tried to stay at a hotel and were unable to find parking adequate for our vehicles. There was one place where we went and we could not even get out because the hotel parking exit was blocked. I tried several times to back out, but I am not licensed to back up in such large vehicles. Someone finally came and moved their vehicle so that we could turn around and make our way down the highway to another town. There are some similarities to our little escapade and the Christian life. There are some things that do not fit in our Christian life. We may find that some attitudes and characteristics make it difficult to live the life God has called us to live. There just is no room for them in our lives. Paul mentions some of them in Galatians 5:19 - 21. Peter mentions some in 1 Peter 2 when he states that we are to "rid ourselves of malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind." These things have no place in our Christian life and when we bring them with us it makes it difficult to live the life we are called to live. When we become followers of Jesus we become a new creation and the old things are passed away. Learn a lesson from my travels: some things make it impossible to live the way you need to live. While living the Christian life get rid of those things that will make it difficult for you to live the abundant life. There is no room for them. I still have a long way to go in getting rid of some of my past habits and attitudes. I am glad I do not have to do it alone. I hope you are not trying to live your Christian life alone as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment