Friday, July 31, 2009

Do we like crumbs?

I was reading in Mark 7 today and was drawn to the faith of the Syrophonecian woman. The story is short but powerful in its teaching. A non Jewish woman came to Jesus with the request that he heal her demon possessed daughter. Jesus stated "first let the children eat all they want, for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." What are we to make of this statement? Jesus seems a little harsh in His words and He is not usually in the habit of turning down a request from someone. I believe this fact is especially true when we consider how the woman bowed in reverence to Jesus in humility and respect. The simple answer to why Jesus responded the way He did is twofold. First He wanted to test the woman's faith and second He wanted to teach His followers about perseverence in prayer. However, I want to focus on the woman's response because it is there that I learned a lesson to apply to my life. The woman responded to Jesus by saying "Yes Lord, but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." Jesus honored her request and healed her daughter at that very moment. Many times we consider our situation and say "I would be content if I could just have crumbs from the master's table." We say this with the intent of being humble and saying we are not worthy to eat at his table. We beat ourselves down and try to force humility and say "Lord could you give me some crumbs today?" I know what I am talking about because I have done the same thing in my own life. Satan often times beats us down so low that we believe we can only ask for crumbs. However, I think if we settle for crumbs we are missing out on a great spiritual truth and blessings as well. The Bible states in John 1:14 "Yet to all who received him (Jesus), to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." In another passage Jesus states that we are to pray "give us our daily bread" not crumbs. Here is the point. Do not let Satan beat you down where you think you deserve only crumbs. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ you are a child of the King and you sit at the table with Him eating bread not crumbs. Do not settle for less than what God has planned for you. Have you setttled for crumbs in your spiritual life? Shame on you! You are a child of God. You are meant to feast at His table. I pray today you will enjoy a great meal with your Father. Bon apetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment