Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Spirit filled believers

There is a lot of discussion about being a spirit filled believer. Some believe that in order to be a spirit filled believer you need a second dose of the Holy Spirit. We receive the Holy Spirit when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, but then later we need a second blessing from the Spirit before we will truly be spirit filled. Others believe that we receive all the Holy Spirit when we accept Christ as our Savior and we do not need a second dousing of the Spirit. But we can be guilty of quenching the Holy Spirit that is within us.
This morning I would like to look at an individual that defies both of these teachings. The thing that is surprising about this individual is that he was full of the Holy Spirit even before Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to us. The man I am speaking of is Simeon as revealed in the early chapters of Luke. Listen to the way Luke describes Simeon in Luke 2:25 - 27. "The Holy Spirit was upon him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit . . .and moved by the Holy Spirit he went. . ." Three times in three short verses Luke mentions how the Holy Spirit dominated his life. We have no problem with the first phrase. We probably believe that the Holy Spirit is upon us. However, it is the second two phrases that reveal the greatest problem we have. Do you sense the Holy Spirit revealing things to you? The Holy Spirit revealed to Simeon that he would not die until he saw the Lord's Christ. I often wonder how this had been revealed to him. I have had times in my life where I sensed the Holy Spirit was revealing something to me only to be shot down by other individuals. Was I wrong? Were they wrong? Were we all wrong? How often do we allow logic and common sense cloud the Holy Spirit's revelation in our lives?
Not only did the Holy Spirit reveal something to Simeon, but it also moved Simeon to do something as well. It moved him to go to the temple courts. As he made his way to the temple courts he would be able to see the Lord's Christ. How often has the Holy Spirit moved you to do go somewhere or to do something?
I believe the example of Simeon is a challenge for all of us. I admit more times than I would like to that I am often more in control than the Holy Spirit is in control. Do you resemble this remark? There have been times that I have been in meetings and could not recall a verse of Scripture or could not remember my train of thought. Then there have been other times when the words flowed freely. What was the difference? Perhaps it had more to do with an attitude of expectancy than anything. Simeon was called a righteous and devout and He was waiting for the promised Messiah. He believed what the Scriptures foretold and lived his life in expectancy for the moment. He loved God, he served God and he waited for God to reveal himself to his people. Maybe we can understand why the Holy Spirit is not as instrumental in our lives when we consider his example. So the question may not be am I a Spirit filled believer but rather "am I a Spirit led believer?" Now that is a different question altogether. I think this is a relevant question for all of us to consider. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment