Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Where does the finger point?



     I think this picture pretty much sums up the debate last night, "He's the liar.  No!  He's the liar!  He can't be believed!  No, he can't be believed!  Liar, liar pants on fire!" 

However, I think it ultimately is indicative of a greater truth.  The truth is that none of us really want to accept blame for our actions.  We want to point fingers at everyone and everything.  It is someone else's fault for what has happened to me.  If my marriage goes bad, I can blame my spouse.  If I can't pay my bills it is because everyone else is taking advantage of me.  If I can't find a good job, it is because I received a bad education.  If I make a bad grade on an exam it is because the teacher did not present the material correctly.  If I am living in poverty, it is because everyone is against me getting ahead in life.  And the list goes on and on.  You know exactly what I am talking about.

I want you to know that what we see taking place in the world today is an exact replica of Genesis 3.  After Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, God gave them a chance to come clean.  Listen to the dialogue.  I will let God's Word do the talking.

Genesis 3:11 God speaks to Adam: "Who told you that you were naked?  Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"  (Seems to be pretty direct)  Verse 12 "The man said, 'The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.'"  (He blamed the woman but ultimately he blamed God) 

Now look at verse 13: "The the LORD God said to the woman, 'What is this you have done?'"  (Again a pretty direct question. God did not ask "What caused this to happen, but what you have done?")   Verse 14 states "the woman said, 'the serpent deceived me, and I ate.'"

Both Adam and Eve pointed their fingers at the other and ultimately at God because he created both the woman and the serpent.  All God wanted them to do is confess "I did it!  I broke your one commandment!  No one is to blame but me."  But instead they started a chain reaction that continues to this day.  And unfortunately our society has bought into it hook line and sinker.

Yet God is still giving us a chance to receive forgiveness if we will just point the finger at ourselves and accept responsibility for our sins.  1 John 1:8 - 9 states "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 

Look at your situation and stop the finger pointing.  If you must point a finger, point it at yourself and then go to the only one who can provide the relief that you so desperately need.  I am not pointing my finger at anyone, but I am pointing you to the one who can truly forgive.  Think about it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment