Friday, December 11, 2009

Being prepared

     We have had a mini blizzard hit our area and I have experienced my first sub zero temperature.  The reading yesterday was 0 degrees, but the wind chill was said to be -20 degrees.  Being from the South, I have never experienced it being this cold. 

     Everyone has been concerned about us and asking if we are surviving the weather okay.  The Pastor Search Committee asked if I was thinking about reconsidering now that the cold has arrived.  I understand now why they do not consider a pastor until the Spring and summer.  Only kidding!!

     However, it has not been as bad as I envisioned.  The key for survival in the cold is having the proper attire.  I cannot dress the same as I always dressed and be prepared for the colder weather.  I need to wear a heavy coat.  Fortunately right now I think I have a heavy enough coat.  Yet even a coat is not sufficient to keep every part of you warm.  I also need to wear my gloves as putting my hands in my pockets does not seem to do the trick.  I also need to wear my muffler around my neck.  I have a really nice one that someone made me that does the trick.  Although I have not yet donned the cap, soon I will be wearing the cap to go with my winter attire.  The key is to be prepared for the colder temperature.

     Of course I try to limit my time outside as well.  I get in my car in the garage, take the kids to school, go to the office at the church and park as close to the door as I can.  It is fairly easy since I am the only one there so I get a primo parking spot.  I am fairly well prepared for the few seconds it takes me to walk to the door of the church.  The reason I can survive is that I am bundled up and prepared for the cold.  I hear it will get colder and I might have to make some adjustments.  Maybe the kids could walk to school and I could work from the house.  Somehow I don't think the kids would go for that!

     Whatever the case, the key is being prepared.  It is kind of like what Paul said about being prepared to battle everyday.  Paul said that we are in a battle with spiritual elements in the world.  We cannot see them, but they are there doing their best to bring us down and to damage the cause of Christ in the world.  That is why Paul tells us to put on the whole armor of God so that we can stand firm against the attacks of the devil. 

     In order to survive the winter weather in Chicagoland, we must put on the whole attire.  Imagine going out in sub zero weather in short pants and a Hawaiian shirt.  We would not get very far before the the winter weather would begin to affect us.  Eventually we would freeze to death.  It is the same way when every morning we go out into the world without preparing ourselves for spiritual battle.  If we are unprepared it might kill us.

    So read your Bible every morning.  Say your prayers.  Be prepared for the battle that you will face each day.  You can't stay inside and you can't move South in this battle.  You are in it for the duration so you better be prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment