Monday, August 17, 2009

When will Jesus Come?

There are many people that understand a lot more about when Jesus will come than I do. These individuals have worked out elaborate time lines and have even provided charts to assist us in our understanding of the end times. They have developed seminars and even websites dedicated to their understanding of the end times and when Jesus will come. Then there is another group of people that have developed an elaborate understanding of the end times to counter what the other group is teaching. They too have developed seminars, written books and created websites to refute what the others teach. If you read and compare what each group says you will come away convinced that both of them are right. Obviously they can't both be right. Could they both be wrong? As I was reading Mark 13:1-23 today I tried to understand what Jesus was saying about the end times and when He would come. I purposefully kept my study short so that I could eat the elephant one bite at a time. Maybe in my study I could come up with a third proposal, write a book, develop seminars, and even create a website that would espouse my views and challenge the views of others. I could have a great following and people would call me their guru and maybe even consider themselves Bruceites or something like that. Of course then I came back down to earth and realized that the teaching is not that clear about the end times. I think Jesus purposefully kept it vague, because He knew something about humanity. That's a no brainer! He knew that if we understood the signs and the times, we would invest all of our interest in interpreting and explaining those things and we would lose track of what is important. Perhaps Satan has latched on to this idea as well. As I examined the passage today I saw two clear things that Jesus wanted us to know. First, watch out for false teachers that will deceive us. Second, watch out for false signs that will divert us. There is also one solid teaching that will help us know when Jesus is coming. In fact it is the most definitive statement in the Bible about the end times. The gospel must first be preached to all nations then Jesus will come. Mark's gospel does not say it as clearly as Matthew's gospel but the teaching is still there. When will Jesus come? I have no idea whatsoever. But I do know that the gospel has not been preached to every nation and if we are honest there are probably pockets of people in our towns that do not know as well. Maybe instead of looking at the end times and trying to discern when Jesus will come, we need to be looking at our times and tell people that Jesus has already come and we can have life in Christ. What do you think? Does this sound like a solid solution to the end times discussion?

No comments:

Post a Comment